Richard Hughes dealt a 19-day ban
Richard Hughes, runner-up in the Flat jockeys’ championships, is facing nearly a month out of competition due to two individual BHA bans for careless riding. He already been handed a ban from November 16 to 29 and has now been dealt a 19-day second ban for
his actions at Lingfield on November 4. On Thursday the BHA inquiry found him guilty for allowing Yurtini, his mount, to drift to the right and obstruct the intended line of Paul Hanagan-ridden Ritual, who still managed to win the race.
The two jockeys had been in stiff competition for the jockeys’ champion title, which Hanagan ultimately won on Saturday, the final day of the Flat season. Hughes’ second ban will begin when the first ends, and will finish on December 14, for a total of 29
days out of competition. The final four days of the second ban have been deferred for six months and will be served June 14 to 17, 2011.
“I feel I didn’t have a fair hearing today – I’ve had no leniency for what I’ve done for racing over the last six months,” said Hughes. “It has left a very bitter taste in my mouth.”
The BHA has also handed a 28-day ban to young conditional jockey Chris Timmons, who breached rule (b) 126.96.36.199 in failing to ride out on a horse that would have finished first. Timmons rode the 4-1 second favourite Jeanry in the Conditional Jockeys’ Handicap
Hurdle at Bangor and was leading on the run-in when he eased his mount half a furlong from home, allowing Monsieur ridden by Matt Griffiths to win the race. The dates of the ban are yet to be decided
“I hold my hands up, it was completely my fault and the horse should have won,” said Timmons. “I thought I was clear.”