New York Rangers, Michael Del Zotto agree to 2-year Deal -NHL Update
The New York Rangers and Michael Del Zotto, as previously expected, have agreed to a two-year deal as the free-agent defenseman was in negotiations with the National Hockey League (NHL) club during the past few days and has now managed to get a contract to kick off the season.
According to sources, the deal will be giving him $2.55 million annually for the next two seasons, for a total worth of $5.1 million and will make him an unrestricted free agent after the end of the 2013-2014 regular season. This is his first contract after an entry-level deal which had a length of three years and a total amount of $2.625 million.
"Happy I got back before training camp started," Del Zotto said." Didn't want to miss any more time than we have and I'm excited to be back."
"Both sides, once we first talked, said we wanted to get something done as soon as possible, we didn't want to miss any more time than the lockout has done," Del Zotto said. "I wasn't worried at all, it was a matter of timing and I'm glad it worked out the way it did."
The 22-year-old is a native of Stouffville, Ontario, Canada, and was drafted by the New York Rangers as the 20th overall back in round-one of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. He has played in a total of 204 games up until now and holds a record of 89 points (21 goals, 68 assists).
His opening season was a major one with 80 games played and a 37 point record as he tallied nine goals and 28 assists. The second one was a ways off due to playing a little over half a season with 47 games and two goals and nine assists with 77 games in which the young defenseman put up 10 goals and 31 assists for a total of 41 points.
"I got a big smile on my face," Del Zotto said. "I'm glad it's all over with and I can go out and play hockey and get back to what we do best."
It will be interesting to see what goes on when the season kicks off on Saturday.